Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 December 2016

It's time to talk about mental health

Today I attended a seminar at work on 'Understanding mental health'. A very inspirational man called Jonny Benjamin shared his experiences surrounding the relationship he has had with mental health.

Last year I emailed the whole of my office raising awareness of mental health so it's incredible to see the company taking the issue seriously and trying to make a change.

Jonny explained the numerous issues he has had with his mental health, this included being diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder and his journey on how to manage this.

He mentioned how there is such a stigma surrounding any mental health issues that people often don't seek help. I understand some people see asking for help as a sign of weakness or perhaps admitting a failure but actually it is far from it.

If you are able to acknowledge there is an issue and you're able to speak to someone to ask for assistance then this truly is one of the bravest things you can do. Being trapped in your own mind must be incredibly frightening so reaching out for assistance will help you on your journey to recover.

Jonny explained he has received some incredible support along the way from various charities and the NHS but sadly there have also been issues. It's so important to understand that things do not get better over night, patience is the best thing you can have when dealing with any medical problem.

I understand there is still such a taboo surrounding mental health and I just can't understand why? If you have a broken leg you would seek help. If you have angina, you would take tablets prescribed to you. Mental health should be no different.

You should not be embarrassed about going to counselling or taking tablets to stabilise your hormones/chemicals. If everyone was just a little bit more understanding and tolerant of peoples differences then the World really would be a better place.

Sadly we all make judgements against people and we shouldn't. The "skinny" girl at the gym who you see work out for hours every day may be battling an eating disorder or the man you see outside McDonalds talking to himself may be schizophrenic

I know from first hand experience that mental health problems are not always that obvious. It's so important to notice changes in people you're close to and reassure them that you are there for them.

Some of you may know that my husband completed suicide five years ago. I did not know that he was battling with mental health issues but for someone to take their own life, he must not have been in the right frame of mind.

I did not see the signs. The signs I should have seen were the lack of pride in personal appearance. I saw Dean not shaving or dressing nicely as a sign of laziness but I should have seen it as him withdrawing and giving up a little.

I should have realised with Dean's moods swinging from high, happy, singing and his famous 'silent laugh' to screaming, aggression and sometimes pure hatred as a warning sign for perhaps chemical imbalances within the brain. Instead I saw them as him being stroppy.

I missed the signs. And even now five years on I still hate myself for not realising he needed help.

Listening to Jonny today stirred up so many emotions. I wish I was able to have helped Dean but sadly I couldn't. I wish so much that Dean had spoken to me, or anyone who cared about him, about how he felt. But sadly he didn't. He kept everything bottled up.

I can't change what happened in the past but I can shape the future. I want everyone to understand it is ok to feel a little shit sometimes but to know that if things are feeling worse then to ask for some help.

There is nothing shameful in asking for help. I understand it is difficult to admit you need help but if you do take that very brave step and ask for help, you will be on the journey to making your life better.

I won't lie to you, it will be hard! You will probably encounter many obstacles in the way but by asking for help that first time you know you've got this. You can deal with anything you put your mind to.

After Dean passed away I wrote an article for an incredible charity called CALM. I wanted to share my experience of what is it like living after someone you love completes suicide. I struggled a lot writing the article as it still felt so raw. However when I read the comments afterwards and realised I helped someone stop taking their own life, it was worth my pain to help others.

Click here for the link to the article. Tom wrote the simple comment "Thank you, you saved a life tonight x". He posted that at 11:48pm and later posted "I mean it, thank you x" at 12:11am. Reading those comments made me cry happy tears. It felt like the pain I had been through was worth it, even to save one life.

There are some incredible charities and organisations out there who offer support to those feeling a little bit shit (I like that phrase, it's not playing the issue down but making it a little more manageable perhaps) and to offer advice for those wanting to support loved ones.

Here are a few links:

https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/


 
http://www.mentalhealthmatters.com/

I want to leave you with a quote I found. Hopefully this is some food for thought.


Look out for people. I truly believe if you do good for others, they do good for you. It's not always about receiving back what you give but it's about making the World just a little bit better for everyone.

Much love to you all,
Becky
xxx